Day 2
We had a somewhat restless and biologically confusing night,
as our bodies were used to a seven hour difference. In spite of it we woke refreshed and eager
for another day. We had many things
planned, but plans change. Instead we
saw some other things which were unplanned for but still great. We initially were planning on going to the
Tate modern, buying the London tour pass, taking a boat ride to the Tate
Britain and then spending the day at the museum and around Big Ben.
First going through public transport at eight AM was…
nothing short of terrifying and insane.
But don’t fear, we came off conquerors.
We were sardined through the subway and came out at London Bridge
station where we followed the crowd for fear of being either trampled,
accosted, or lost if we were to loiter.
In the mass of people we found sanctuary literally in the most charming
little garden courtyard of the beautiful Southwark Cathedral. We painted studies of it and after we were
frozen by the British spring morning we went inside to look around. The stained glass windows were awesome and
beautiful as well as the general architecture of the building. We couldn’t take pictures though, because you
had to get a pass which was a euro, the only problem was that they didn’t take
cards, and we had no British pounds yet.
So we continued our walk toward the Tate. Jennifer convinced me that I was a tourist
and would shake myself later for not taking pictures. So I resorted to looking like a tourist and
taking lots of pictures while we walked.
The streets are so… So European! I wanted to take a picture around every
corner, and did for a while, until I began to be more selective about the
buildings we passed.
Upon arrival at Tate Modern however they had no London pass,
so after a skimpy view of the horrendous Damian Hurst we got help from the most
charming and helpful lady who told us specifically that we needed to take five
trains to Piccadilly to buy passes. So
off we went, wasting about an hour getting our London Passes and then went to
go to the Tate Britain…. But we got lost… and stumbled upon Big Ben! J So we took his picture. The tour sounded lame so we didn’t go tour
it. We then wandered into The Churchill
war rooms which is the labyrinth under a large government building. The prime minister basically lived
underground in these rooms and tunnels during the war, with all his chief of
staff and even his wife. There was an
extensive tour and I thoroughly enjoyed it, having read a biography on
Churchill.
The war rooms exited into St. James park I
believe it was called where a royal someone or other had a bird park. It was awesome and just for me bird
galore. They were just laying and
nesting and preening all over the place we took tons of photos. There was even a little cottage where the
bird caretaker lived. Squirrels and pigeons were also in abundance and a family of swans
and I could go on and on. We even took a
good picture of us.
Then we saw a collection of Davinci anatomy drawings at the
Queen’s gallery. It too was fascinating
he had some mad drawing skills as well as patience to tackle such a
project. Simply amazing.
At this point we stumbled around trying to get back to the
Tate Brittain. Rode on a bus got lost
decided the heck with it all and went back to the National portrait
gallery. I saw a few more sergeant
paintings. And we both went to see a
Lucien Freud exhibit and it was fascinating, I vastly prefer his work in person and I'm glad I had a chance to see it.
No comments:
Post a Comment