Welcome

Thank you for visiting my blog and having interest in my work. While for a while this blog functioned as an online portfolio, now it comprises my day to day artistic exploits. To view my formal online portfolio and most recent updated artwork please visit my website www.robjwilson.com

Thanks and enjoy!

Rob

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In the Footsteps of Thomas Moran 2010

This year I was invited to the Zion National Park Invitational show In The Footsteps of Thomas Moran. It was a week long of fantastic painting fun and I wanted to share with you a little of what went on.

I averaged four paintings a day, which meant I was quite busy. I got up early each morning to hit the canyon before sunrise and then just painted through the day.

On Friday they had a quick draw which was super fun. We started gathering at 11:30 with high anticipation and artists staking out locations. At noon the signal was given and 21 artists set to rapid work. We had to have a finished painting at one o'clock--a painting that would be immediately auctioned off (No pressure to do something worth signing). I painted Mountain of the Sun which had great (But rapid changing) shadows. I was so focused on painting quickly that it came together a lot faster than I expected. This is a picture of me about a half hour into the painting. Anne Weiler helped head up the event and this is her working on her piece

Roland Lee did a fantastic piece as always. I've loved his watercolors for a long time and he is as nice of a person as his work is.
Doug Braithewaite had a cool setup to keep cool.

It was wonderful to meet Donal Jolly and Jolly describes him very well.
This fantastic lady bought my piece in the auction and this is the winning bid shot

No comments: